Thursday, July 12, 2012

Seagrass Hurricane Tutorial

It seems like every home decor store my mom and I have gone into the past few months, there has been some sort of seagrass hurricane for sale. We love the look and simple design of the candle holder, but some of them can be kinda pricey. 
Ballad Designs 
$45-$75

Pottery Barn, I think

Pier One Imports
$10 (small), $14 (large)


While the Pier One hurricanes are the least expensive option, I decided that I could make one easily enough. I was browsing around our local Goodwill and they had a plethora of glass options....
I chose a beautiful hurricane, shaped piece of glass for $1.21 (!)


And paired it with sisal rope and Gorilla Glue
(Spoiler: Gorilla glue is no bueno for glass. 
I switched to a glue gun instead and it worked like a charm :)


Here are all the pieces ready to go:
It's honestly so simple a process it's not even funny. 

Glue, wrap rope and hold to seal. 

It is a little time consuming but definitely worth the effort when it looks like this:

Loving the finished product! 
I just put in a simple white pillar candle and it looks so good!

Close up of the bottom

Back of the hurricane where I tried to line up the rope for each layer

Ballard Designs
($45-$75)

vs. 

DIY Seagrass Hurricane
(~$7)

I think I'll stick with making my own version!



2 comments: