Tuesday, September 4, 2012

DIY: Wedding Sign

I adore Etsy. I really do. The people who have shops are so talented and creative that I wish I had an iota of their talent and skill. While most items on Etsy I couldn't even start to replicate, there was one wedding item that I wanted to take a DIY stab it: the wooden wedding signs.

Here are some examples from Etsy:

$60

$62

$60

$30

All of these super cute signs looked easy enough to make, so Jason and I made a trip to Home Depot and Michael's yesterday to pick up our supplies. 
Wood for the sign and stake
$4 for bigger piece, $2 for smaller
They cut it down for you for free!

Stencil for Michael's
$4.99 after 50% off coupon


Martha Stewart metallic silver paint from Michael's ($2.69),
 tester pot of black paint frm Home Depot ($2.84),
 sponges from Michael's ($0.45 each)

Plastic tray ($0.99) and roller ($2) from Home Depot

You can see where we had the Home Depot guy
cut at an angle to stake the wood into the ground

Painting the wood took about two seconds
(please don't judge..I look horrible!)

Jason helpin' me out :)

Wood after one coat of paint 

Gettin' ready to stencil...
kiiiinda nervous here since I'm a perfectionist

I taped the stencil for the first letter, but didn't do this for the rest

Done with my name...lookin' good if I do say so myself :)

Drumroll please....
The finished product!!
I LOVE the way it came out! 
(I freehanded the heart)

Now its time to attach the sign to the post
We used gorilla glue, but nails or wood glue would work, too
(The blue grip keeps the two pieces of wood together while the glue dries)

Gorilla glue

Back of sign after the glue is dried (about 2 hours later) 
Next time I won't use as much so it won't come out the sides 

Ta-da! Our custom wedding sign :)

Used the second piece of wood 
to make a "Thank You" sign 
for us to hold at the wedding!

What do y'all think? Something you would DIY? 
Anything y'all have DIY lately? 
Love hearing your stories and seeing your projects! 




1 comment:

  1. LOVE the signs! They look great! Looking forward to yours and Jason's big day!

    ReplyDelete